Skip to main content

Flying with the Americans .


Flying within America was a much more pleasant experience than the U.K. Based flights I had previously taken . The check in was much the same but once within the security zone I only needed my boarding card once – to get through the boarding gate . None of the passport and papers at every checkpoint I am used to .
The boarding was very relaxed though just as swift with zones as well as rows on the tickets .The flights were both full but there was no scrum of overeager travelers . People just got up leisurely and strolled to the gate only when their zones were boarding .
The seats were wide with plenty of leg room . There were no back of seat TV.'s so the passengers talked to each other , read books and magazines .First flight (4 hours) Orlando to Phoenix I was seated between an Indian electrical engineer by the window and a pleasant retired American lady who read from an electronic book . Said she reads a book a day . Transfer onto the Seattle flight took 75 minutes . I got an aisle seat this time and chatted pleasantly with the Americans on my row . They were welcoming and had good advice on places to check out . My list grows longer .

At the car hire I explained my situation and duly canceled my two day booking , walked the car lanes and picked out a blue/grey Jeep with tinted windows for $1,000. a month plus insurance .

I decided to keep busy so I quickly headed for the nearby Museum of flight . As I walked from the car park I heard Glen Miller and was very pleasantly surprised to see that a large group of WWII enthusiasts were in residence on this Memorial Day Weekend . I paid 5$ then got in line to go inside a fully restored flying B17 bomber . I talked restoration with the instant friends that made . I gave one of them my camera and he organized me and took pictures whilst I viewed the Plane .

The best thing was that on board , as a sort of living history , were veterans who had served in B 17's operating out of East Anglia and were answering questions on what it was really like and reminiscing about their youth in the USAAF in England so long ago but with the memories still sharp and raw .

I skipped the main museum as it was shutting in 30 minutes at 5 but I did buy a city pass so I can return . I went to a local store , was again chatted to due to my accent and got some provisions .
Onto the city . The weather was great – as always when we visit – I parked under the freeway and had a massive “ two scoop “ waffle cone whilst chatting to another large Indian family holidaying from Chicago as we lined up for the harbor tour . I asked the captain/tour guide which side of the boat was best to sit on and was thanked by a group of three “ golden girls “ ( retired American ladies ) who sat behind me and immediately involved me in their conversation . They also photographed me .
I was then going to go up the Space Needle but as I struggled to park tiredness hit so I drove to my hotel instead .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during