Skip to main content

CHARM - Why I had to act !

As everybody who knows me is aware I am pretty passionate about the victims of war , particularly those ordinary decent people who are called upon to take to arms when one group of people end up fighting another for a cause often nothing whatsoever to do with most of the individual people who end up doing the fighting . 

 " Theirs not to reason why theirs but to do or die " as I believe Tennyson put it !




As I have become older and possibly wiser  I have become less motivated by personal wealth and aggrandizement and more motivated into what would give meaning to my life - what can I do for others - how would things be different and better because of my own existence . 

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

John F. Kennedy


 As a minor student of history I came to realize how lucky my generation was in relation to others of the past and how the curse of war absolutely dominates the historical narrative through the ages .   I wanted to share that story with others so I decided initially as a part business venture that I would get involved in a project to build and run the Isle of wight Military History Museum . 

Through this project I met many ordinary people who really wanted their own family stories out there and the debt they felt to those who answered the call to arms when the time came and sadly all to often paid a heavy price , often the ultimate price . Why did they do it ? what did they get out of it ? what was in it for them ? 

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." 

Winston Churchill




I realized that universally for whatever "side " they fought their motives were very very rarely for personal gain and once this belief struck home I realized that I actually did not want to make more money that what was reasonable . I wanted the museum primarily to be a self supporting charity to honor those who died simply because they answered the call in the belief that they were helping others even though there was nothing in it for them except at best toil tears and sweat !



When I was introduced to Stan Baker and I learned of his work with ex servicemen mentally scarred by war he proposed to me not merely a museum not a basic charity but one which would both educate the public in general as to the horrors of war but one that would actively help the often derided and even blamed victims of war ., the servicemen themselves ! Those who actually personally fight those wars . A place where such " rare but ordinary " ( if that makes sense ) people could visit and gather in groups in peace with their fellow man . A place with no sides just ordinary people united in peace humbly working together as a living breathing informative and quite fun fitting tribute to the fallen . 
Stan Baker re energized me after the shameful way the Isle of Wight Military History Museum failed and my heart had taken a beating when individuals looked to what was in it for them not for the common good ! .



If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools: 

Rudyard Kippling !



I came away from that shaken and feeling more than a little betrayed . On a positive note although I had got nothing out of it for myself through the journey I now owned personally the core of that Museum !  I had the tools in spades even though I myself was a little warn out and mentally scarred over how friends can act to friends . Stan Baker with his great idea helped me enormously and with him by my side I became more determined than ever to see it through until the end .



If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:



Stan was my new hero – DA was my previous now fallen hero !
As my personal representative I allowed Stan to act on my behalf as I retreated back to the USA and I left him to gather his loyal supporters and set to work . I promised him that he would be fully compensated for the work he put in in due course when CHARM as we called it was successful and safe and funds were available . I sugested to him without legal liability that if it failed and I sold up that I would pay him personally once the place was sold . I intend to deliver on the first promise if CHARM fails . If it fails because of his misguided actions  I accept no liability whatsoever  ! There was a lot of scrap metal now mine on site and it was duly sold and the monies received in addition to personal borrowings went into getting the site tidied up and the buildings re vamped . Most of the work was done on what was promised to be a drop in center for the victims of war and a functional themed cafe . Paperwork and bookkeeping were a bit of a shambles , Stan didn't even have a proper discussion about his pay rate / contract and simply pressed on When I ultimately learned from the accountant that over 10,000 was uncounted for and Jane , Stans wife had said to him that they needed the money to live I was not particularly surprised or upset . I had faith in Stan the charmer ! I was told of the hours he had put in and although not documented believed as I do still that he deserved that money – I just wish to god that he had done the paperwork !Lack of paperwork became a theme of Stan and his management team
I think his way of dealing with the income / expenditure was a bit like ta whip round in a pub where everyone shoves what they can into the kitty and someone takes out what is needed to get a round in . A group of friends trusting each other not to take advantage . There also no forward planning as to what would happen when the money runs out and there are outstanding bills to pay .



The jobs not over until the paperwork is done – anonymous on a latrine wall `



As a trustees we were always trying to get that paperwork done
I ended up doing the agreement with Andy from Oasis , Andy from TDHI and Sid the paintball guy even though I was not in the country . Nobody else to my knowledge as landowner or trustee has a legal agreement to do anything
An astonishing state of affairs .
This in brief leads us to where we are now .
.Despite rave reviews and many happy loyal regular customers the truth is that Violets was a financial disaster for CHARM .
It is a sad reality that with even with such hard working loyal staff and management violets was totally failing to pay its way .

With the place packed and reports of hour waits in the last five months all violets managed to do to support CHARM was make a 100 pound payment to cover a portion of its electricity costs . It paid nothing else at all . The fiercely determined manageress possibly because of loyalty to her large number of staff refused to consider making any changes when advised to do so on numerous occasions . New management was seen as the best option .



I could not sit idly by and see the Museum fail after 20 years and not for my sake . If it was about the money I would have sold up 18 months ago and lived comfortably till the end of my days . It is about what I have stated above .
People have said that in effect the rent was paid by taking into consideration the wages that Stan would be getting and his families investment but it would have been wrong of me to allow Stan to have his investment chipped away at subsidizing the cafe until it ran out and he had nothing left .
I would not advise my worst enemy to do that rather to accept the reality that no money was being made for CHARM by violets and it had to change



I had seen what happens when control and security is lost so I secured the site and the buildings before acting to preserve peoples heritage from the type of shameless attack .that occurred when the last director cut and ran . It may be I was wrong everybody makes mistakes but my primary concern was the exhibits especially those belonging to others who had entrusted them to CHARM .



I believe I made the right decision especially when around ten uniforms were taken from above the cafe after I was persuaded to allow Stan and Jane and their friends unmonitored access to that area .



This will never happen again on my watch ! 

Jon Hinchliffe   credited to President  George Bush !












Comments

  1. What a load of crap! I can't remember anyone famous actually quoting it, but someone probably did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dave!!! What a load of crap, nasty man...

      Delete
    2. I agree Dave!!! What a load of crap, nasty man...

      Delete
    3. I agree Dave!!! What a load of crap, nasty man...

      Delete
  2. Yes Jon, you did make a mistake. You put Walter Mitty in charge of other people's precious possessions and threw out the team of people that were faithfully following your wishes. The irony is quite overwhelming. Please take a step back and listen to independent witnesses rather than the people looking at you as the Goose that is about to lay them a golden egg. Stan and his team were living by the charitable aims every single day, making a difference to people who were broken. Instead of being proud of what you had achieved between you, you brought in a load of crooks and kicked your own genuine heroes in the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really really hope I haven't cocked up again . Time will tell !

      Delete
  3. Ha, quote as many great men as you like, (though some are stretching the term), it doesn't make you one and it never will. I question if you could recognise what a hero truly looked like, even if one were stood in front of you. You want people to feel sympathy and empathy for your position, yet you come across as a disingenuous dullard who always brings the topic back to money. Still chin up, eh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not consider myself as a great man - I would like to think that I would be a rare but ordinary man as in the piece that I doubt you read . please justify your pathetic attempt by quoting where I bring it back to money

      Delete
    2. I agree Heroes look no different than other people . btw I think with the money thing you are projecting !

      Delete
  4. Never in the field of human conflict has a bigger prat written so much utter shite
    In case your wondering if said that, ya prick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during