Skip to main content

Open Knee Surgery ! The NHS ( U.K. National Health Service ) at its best .

About a month ago I knelt down and felt a sharp pain in my knee as if I had nelt down on a bolt as I have done in the past - I'm an untidy worker ! My knee went and after I got off the floor I looked for the " bolt " and found nothing . Nursing my now painful knee I thought little of it .
About a week later and after my knee had , I thought , recovered from the bolt caused bruising I gingerly knelt on the tiled floor of Morrison's supermarket to get some Pepsi-Max from the back of the bottom shelf . A loud animal scream was heard all along the Isle and I was seen rolling around the floor in agony ( how embarrassing ! ) I had found another " invisible bolt "
Another ten days and the tenderness in my knee had departed so I decided to examine it carefully . I found there was something small and hard under the skin which moved around quite a bit when i pressed on it . The " invisible bolt " was inside my knee !
An appointment was made with Dr Moore one of the GP's ( General Practitioners )at the local health centre in Carisbrooke - five pleasant minutes walk from my home .
Three days later she examined the knee and decided it was possibly a subcutaneous cyst or something described by longer words I have never heard before .
" I can remove it here when would you like me to do it ?"
" as soon as possible I suppose but I like early appointments please ! "
" Next Wednesday would be available at 9 :15 "
" O.K."
I arrived unworried but when I was promptly called after a wait of only a few minutes and saw the sign " Treatment Room " I have to admit I did become slightly anxious .
I entered the room took of my trousers and lay on the treatment " couch " I talked too much and hummed and hared debating with myself vocally as to whether or not I should photograph my operation . I decided having a camera to play with would give my mind something to do and stop it from being seduced by the horror .
I checked it was O.K.with the Dr. and got her to pass me my trusty Fuji.

I explained that I might be sick when the local anaesthetic reached my brain and was assured that there was not enough to get there . This thankfully proved to be true
I had two painless - really painless- injections then watched at the Dr. cut open my knee above the lump so that the scar tissue would not be where I knelt down .
She then got some medical pliers and got hold of something which she pulled out . She had to cut away at its base to fully detach it .She examined it and so did I - it was soft and fatty so she decided it was not the problem . She returned to the hole , searched around and got hold of something else ." This is it I think " - more tugging and cutting ! - out it came ! A 1/2 inch square of " crispy bacon "
A brief period of nausea followed before I sat up again in time to film the stitches going in .

A simple problem identified and operated on within two weeks - cost to me - nothing !

The NHS has many problems but for me this time I could not fault it !
Incidentally apparently the NHS costs about 6 % of GDP whereas healthcare in the USA costs significantly more . On the negative side last year 184,000 people were discharged from NHS hospitals suffering some form of malnutrition 14,000 more than were admitted with it ! - The only good meal my mother had during her last hospitalisation was from McDonald's when a visitor to the next bed took orders from the ward . It also cost significantly less than the average meal budget to the hospital - Why ! . Shut the kitchens and let the patients order takeaways !

Pictures here - not for the squeamish !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during