Skip to main content

Building in Coupeville 2 The whole nine ( 10 + 3 ) Yards !



After talking to everyone who would listen I got the details of three likely foundation guys . I contacted them and handed out plans . Eric Walters was recommended by JT Madson and his brother Mike . B and B construction and Chris Marty were also highly spoken of by local builders . I met with Eric at the weekend in Langley and got a price per Yard and a yardage estimate next day . It seemed reasonable and he could also start immediately.
I then got a cheaper ( by $60 per yard ) one next day from B and B and was minded to accept it . I called them for clarification and a start date . I was disappointed but not surprised that they were quite busy - they also we going to charge me for more extras than Eric . They were avid hunters and the short hunting season was almost upon us and the elk in Idaho were calling . I had to go back to Eric and accept his quote . I am not one to play one contractor against another .

Eric and his team turned up as he said a day later and set to work at once . Eric reminds me of Humphrey Borgart in the African Queen - tough quietly confident and honest . His main man Kurt seemed to be another tough diamond geezer and Jeff his new guy was so fit and hard working - as they all were - that I broke a sweat just watching .

They worked as a team rapidly without rushing and smartly too . I cannot praise them enough .
As Jeff unloaded the van Kurt got to work with line and level accurately determining the position for the form ( 6x2 timber ) which Eric was already constructing to the plans . The shape appeared swiftly with some on-site modifications ( I had decided on a full basement and no crawl space ) . The all worked tirelessly :- now Eric forming the " T " junctions - then Jeff preparing the reed bar reinforcement and attaching them so they would be suspended in the form once it was raised to the correct height .
Onto the final leg - and I could see why they were so beefy . The entire area was so hard that a pick on full swing would penetrate only 4 inches ( if you were lucky ) - and into this they hammered ( using 7lb sledgehammers - one handed ) the supporting pins . At first they roughly nailed the form through the pins a bit higher than needed . Then with the trusty beeping lazer they dressed it down to its final height . I was reminded of the sceen from " Dumbo " where the Roustabouts erect the tent singing as they swing their sledgehammers .
They had worked with less than an hour break altogether from 8 am till 5 30 . This in the hot sun .
I was and am still very impressed . Americans in their social lives always seem to have time for a chat but where work is concerned - they just get on !
More pictures here !
The next day they were on another job and the town building inspector Len visited and approved the form for pouring .
On Friday afternoon the pump truck took up position and the 10 yd mixer arrived . Eric and Jeff worked even swifter - if that was possible . Eric squirted the concrete as the driver operated the boom and Jeff smoothed the surface .
Video here !
It took 13 yards in total which was as Eric had estimated so his costing should not be too much of a shock .

As Eric finished the pouring and smoothing Jeff marked and placed the wall reinforcing he had prepared earlier . Video here !
These slip under the other reinforcing to make the structure as earthquake proof as reasonably possible !
They came back on Saturday morning , sprung the form , marked the wall positions with a string line and hammered into the green concrete the clips that would support the wall form .

These guys defiantly earn their pay !

Comments

  1. Great post! Thanx for your efforts and writing you have done to compose the list. Keep up the good work.
    Property Maintenance in Clapham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during