Skip to main content

Building in Coupeville 4 - Ask everybody then verify !

Building in Coupeville 4 - Ask everybody then verify !
.Sunrise over Penn Cove

The next stage was to make sure that the basement would be dry . I decided on a belt and braces approach .
First measure was to coat the walls with " asphalt emulsion " I chose asphalt as it can be applied to whet concrete .
  • I initially broke off all the external protruding spring clips
  • The I hammered off all the washers - as these are potential points of failure
  • removed all loose concrete paying special attention to the footing
  • brushed away all dust and debris especially again from the "dry joint" between the footing and the wall
  • applied an initial coat by roller and brush where necessary into holes and crevices where the walls would e below ground level
  • Second coated the wall being careful to ensure no gaps again being especially generous to the top of the footing and also where the spring clip shafts went through the walls
Second task was to install insulation externally - I economised with a one inch layer as I was intending to insulate internally also eventually . This came in 8'x2' sheets which I simply placed into position and lightly secured with timber tied to the top mounting bolts . This would also give a second waterproof layer and protect the asphalt coating from damage during backfill .

Final task before backfill was the land drains . These are pipes that surround the footings to drain water away from them . I chose 4" flexible pipe and laid this on the ground all round the building . I also had a section in the low level void between the garage and the basement connected thru a "T" . I also placed a T to head down towards the lowest part of the site when it was excavated - probably when the services were to be connected .

Malcolm Bishop came to inspect the work . I got the impression that the key thing was that the pipe was level so I surrounded it with pea gravel , raised up its low points and called for a final inspection . Larry Smith was passing and he viewed what I had done . His view was that water would follow the newly excavated surface and might go on under the pipe and then under the footings . He said that the pipe should be placed into a shallow trench going deeper as it headed down the site . This would drain away water so it could not get to the footings at all . This made sence so I moved away all the pea gravel I then dug said trench , replaced the pipe ( which was in a sock of filter fabric ) and the pea gravel . I then placed filter fabric over the pea gravel to stop it becoming clogged with smaller particles . Together with the pipe there was a pretty huge channel for water and zero possibility of it saturating the ground around the building - ever !

I discussed the apparently different views with Len - the town building inspector and he told me the actual code only says that the water should be directed away from the building so he did not inspect the land drains at all . I also later talked with the excavator driver who had dug up many buildings and his view was that it was a good idea to do what I had done but that probably no significant water would ever reach the drains given the slope of the site and the depth of the hole . Shifting the pea gravel twice had been hard work and I wish the town had given me clear and similar instructions from the outset .
Perhaps they should get or produce a simple diagram of their unified view of best practice for footing drains !

Anyway at least I could now tidy up the site and backfill the excavation ! Pictures here !

Now the D.I.Y. stuff is out of the way the personal stuff !
My decision to live in my van gave me quite a few problems but was an adventure . Main points of note were :-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during