Skip to main content

A Confession !

I have a confession to make .
I lied to someone in authority to get what I wanted and guess what I blame the authority ! If they did not have such stupid rules I would not have broken them - they bring the law into disrepute not me !


Many years ago my father Arnold ( link here ) died . We had talked a lot and it was his wish that we erect a bench as a memorial to him on Tennyson's Down - a place he liked and a monument to a great writer . I duly contacted the National Trust who owned the land . They are a charity that my mother contributed to who protect and preserve land and property for the nation to enjoy .

Link Here http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/what-we-do/what-we-protect/for its preservation

They were pleased and did say that more benches would be welcome but only at the summit because they valued the openness of the down and did not want this compromised . There is an old bench from the 60's half way up the Alum Bay side which does stand out but is very welcome to rest and catch your breath . They also said that timber had to be from " green , sustainable " suppliers .

I set about researching such timber and what sizes it came in . I settled for Eroco which I was told was perfect due to its natural resistance to decay untreated and in fully exposed situations . It came from a certified source with labels to prove it . It came in thick short sections ( 6 x 3 ish as far as I remember ) I went to the Tank Museum that I am involved with and together we designed a thick galvanised box section steel frame to support this thickness timber ( seat and back rest .
I had them build it which they did at no charge as my father had been instrumental in saving the museum by purchasing the site when the bank got cold feet .

I got a surprise call from Robin Lang of the National Trust . He informed me that the national trust would not allow any timber that was " endangered " even if it came from accredited sources . He said they would get complaints from the public . Eroco was not allowed . He did seem a little embarrassed but was adamant . I said I would find out what timber was available and agree with him what timber I could use . We settled on American Oak which was far from perfect . It came in wider thinner planks , was not so long lasting and was much more expensive
I got the timber , took it up to the museum cut to size and bolted the pieces in place .

I arranged with Robin to pick it up in his land-rover and install it in place by the monument . Here it got really unbelievable . I was told that I could not use concrete to hold the bench in place for a reason so ridiculous that I have forgotten it .
I pointed out that it was to be against the monument which was surrounded by a wide concrete skirt .
I pointed out that it might fall over and hurt someone .
I pointed out that without protection the area under the bench might be eroded by the boots of thousands of walkers . He agreed with everything I said but his hands were tied - It was NT policy .
I had an idea . I now can not remember how it came to me but I asked Robin if I could use lime instead as the down is mainly composed of chalk and chalk is similar to lime ? Lime does become firm and would be easy to compact . He was persuaded and it was going to be lime or nothing so I agreed lime . Lime is white and I got two bags . I emptied both and replaced the contents with a mix of lime and white cement . I decided not to mention this to robin . The mix would be underground anyway and I challenge any of the rule makers to justify their rules and to explain to me why what I did was wrong .

Anyway the rest is history Robin and his co worker and me dug the holes and placed and levelled the bench ( in a blizzard I recall ) I poured in the " Lime " added water and covered it up .
The bench is still there . The back rest is too high ( the seat would have been thicker if I had been able to use the timber sizes it was designed for ) The ground in front is seriously eroded as I expected it would be , Also muddy in wet weather . The bench has not fallen over ( thanks to the White cement I am sure )

I am going to add pictures to this post after my next trip up there .

I may further break " the rules " by carrying up one or two slabs to protect the ground from the result of rules made by those empowered to protect the area !

More Tennyson's Down Pictures Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during