Skip to main content

From the IOWMHM through CHARM to the Isle of Wight Military and Heritage Museum part1

 I wrote this for the members of the Central Whidbey Sportsmans Association so bear with me . 

 Hi all .
I am as far as I know the only English member of the CWSA . I also own the biggest privately owned gun in the club ( if not the county or the State ) The 120mm high velocity rifled tank main armament on a Conqueror Tank   ( all be it I have no ammo for it ) I also own four other tanks .Picture of me in my Centurion .

Lots of other members have asked me what I have been doing on my trips to the UK . I thought I would put this in the newsletter for those interested .

Firstly some background . I moved to the USA and obtained a green card for myself and my family by investing lots of ( borrowed ) money in Urban Storage - This partnership built a storage building on the site of the old Ranier Brewery in SODO Seattle . I came in search of Liberty and freedom ( but I am a bit late it seems ) I was disturbed at the loss of the traditional liberties in the UK and decided for my children s sake ( Son Adam and Daughter Emma ) that we needed to get out before things got much worse . I am a strong believer in the US constitution .

I have a residential lettings business in the UK that I was intending to sell but the worldwide housing market crash has forced me to keep it going and thus I have to visit England occasionally .

I also was the primary investor ( and hands on builder ) of the Isle of Wight Military History Museum . This took years to come to fruition and years more before I realized that the managing director had become corrupted ( a new " lady " was involved ) and was basically ripping me off as landowner , shareholder and investor .

I made the mistake of confronting him on his crookedness by letter in my absence . I believed that logically he would have curtailed his deception and paid the rent that he could easily afford ( despite his failure to do so and protestations of poverty ) He decided instead to cut and run taking with him everything he thought he could get away with ( and so far it transpired he was right )

I ended up owning everything he left on the 14 acre site as the receivers transferred it all to me in lieu of rent . This included about a dozen ex military vehicles ( many of which I already owned ) . I also ended up being responsible for the taxes on the site which were over $ 30,000 .00 per year which was as much as I have to live on .

I could have given up on the museum I and many others had worked on for decades and believed on . Instead I met Stan a charming man who was introduced to me as a British Legion case worker helping ex service people . He proposed the establishment of a charity that would both operate the museum and , work with ex service people and use any " profit " to support those people and others who could benefit . CHARM was born .

We came up with the name The Conflict History And Remembrance Museum . I worked on the paperwork and Stan had free range to get the museum back on its feet . There was loads of scrap on site and steel was selling for $ 170.00 a ton. He used the British Legion Riders - a motorcycle " gang " of mainly ex service people as his workforce and many also donated and loaned monies and worked tirelessly on this new endeavor . There were many successes - A bar and cafe were opened and everything seemed great .
Soon there were issues though . The trustees of the charity that I had recruited were being ignored and Stan's " management team " seemed to do whatever they wanted . No rent was received from the cafe and not so much from the bar . Finally it became evident that Mrs Baker ( who was operating the cafe ) was either lying about the takings or was running the place very badly . It became evident that anybody who questioned Stan became “ public enemy no 1”. The trustees and others who saw cracks in Stan's " halo " were threatened by some of Stan's minions . It came to a head when Stan started the season with a well publicized “ fun day “ He did not consult the trustees at all and opened the actual museum for free but both the bar and the cafe and other “ franchises “ he had given to his “ management team “ operated for profit” . The charity received nothing except a small contribution from the bar . Stan wanted to erect a mini tank course for a friend and was told to submit a business plan – It was laughable with almost all profits to go to the operator – He was told no but never the less had it built without the agreement of the trustees or me the landowner .
Last April fools day I flew back to the UK and had a secret meeting with some of the trustees . It was agreed I needed to act and act with decisiveness I did .
I levied distraint against the charity with the agreement of the trustees and locked Stan and his associates out of the whole site . The police got involved to prevent a breach of the piece . I told Stan his game was up and I would be willing to thank him publicly for his input but he had to go . He would not accept this and instead went to the press threatening a court case for unfair dismissal .
He pleaded with me to allow his associates to remove personal stuff from the cafe and I agreed ( foolishly ) . By appointment his associates turned up but not a few with a van but a mob of over 25 people who were more than mildly threatening , destroying the cafe sign and also it transpired taking many donated and loaned items . They hung around for hours doing very little but working themselves up . Punches were thrown and the police arrested one of them but then left the site ( and the trustees ) unprotected .

By late afternoon I had had enough . I walked past the mob and saw one individuals twirling a hammer One called out to express his support for the previous management and dislike for me and my actions . There was no sign of them leaving or even moving anything which was their whole justification for being present on my land .
I informed them that I was in no way threatening them but my hobby was practical shooting , it was my land and I was licensed to shoot vermin on it I intended to relax by shooting a few cans . I opened the door of my van and got out a Saiga 12 gauge with a ten shot magazine and loaded it up . I then emptied the magazine in a safe direction . I believe this was a shock to many of the mob as there are only about twenty people on the Isle of Wight who do not have their right to own long magazine shotguns denied .
I then walked down to the bottom of the site to cool down . I returned ten minutes later and they had all left . I left also - The police arrived just minutes later but thankfully did not bother to take further action . ( Firearms law in the UK is a minefield - the police just jailed a man who legally possessed a shotgun simply because he had it loaded in the back of his car ) .

The worst was over . There was a Facebook campaign of intimidation but nothing actually happened . Low point was when Stan warned me on Facebook that there was a storm coming my way ( he hosted a biker meet ) and 120 people liked it . I spent the next six weeks sleeping at the museum for security . I let it be known that I had both a .22 rifle with silencer and a Mossberg 8 shot pump 12 gauge to shoot vermin as I was licensed to do and that I knew the law on self defense in the UK where you can still use deadly force if you can not retreat and have a reasonable fear for your own safety ( ie being public ally threatened by a biker gang ) .

The Charity continued to run the museum with the position of acting manager for a trial period filled by “ Sid Michalski “ who had assisted in the take over period from Stan and his inner circle . - Another story -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during