Skip to main content

Anecdotes from today . Only in America "


The angry young man in the baseball cap pulled to the side of the road blocking my path . Should I drive swiftly past him and make my escape ? It was entirely my own fault !
I had let time slip talking with an elderly lady about gang troubles in Sedro-Woolley . I then made a poor rushed left turn somehow missing his large 4wd truck as I crossed through a gap in the traffic . I decided to stop and face the music .
" I'm terribly sorry " I said ."It was my fault I am an English tourist and I missed you completely .I am used to driving on the other side !"
He smiled broadly " That's O.K. buddy , I just thought you were shouting at me ", his hand shot out palm first , grasped mine for a firm and totally sincere handshake ." Have a great day, Welcome to America ". ---In London I would have got a mouthful a fist or even a knife , here a handshake and a welcome ! --- Only in America

"what are you going to do for work when you move here " the realtor said .
I just had time to say " possibly buy a small business I could work in with my son .

" I can get you 51 % of a gas station for $200,000.00 . It's on a 2 acre site in the middle of Blane worth about $2,000,000.00 The business owes about $1,000,000.00 but returns about 18 % a year . You just have to manage it , the owner is too busy with running the other 5 in his portfolio . With 51 % you will be in charge so the owner knows his 49% will appreciate . It' s a good deal for both of you !
--- This is the essence of free trade and really understood . _ only in America !

The good looking young owner of the dive store shook my hand for the third time in as many minutes as I gave him my reasons for moving to America . " If you do choose this town we will be very glad to have you and if you need anything at all I will help you ! I have lived here for ten years now and can help you settle in .
I just know he meant every word . - Only in America !

" Hello Jon " said Bill " the tall country music singer I had " met briefly " through facebook less than two weeks ago . This is Connie and this is her place and you are very welcome ." Would you like a drink ?
"She said "I'll show you where you can stay .You can park over there.Bill will just get the car and we will all go to Pepe and Sue's place on Camino Island where you can sit in on our jam session "
Nothing was too good for their new English friend ,I even got to ride Shotgun while Connie sat in the back . "Can you cary the beer in in case you get thirsty , we have cookies too ! " . The banter flowed as smooth as a long haired cat and the music was divine spontaneous and of a totally professional quality . They all treated me as a good friend of long standing .The session ended far too soon two or three hours later and every one in turn said their goodbyes and welcomed me with open hearts .
Bill Connie and me returned together to their place for a strawberry and ice cream supper under the longing glare of six pairs of contented cats eyes and I am now about to sleep under crisp white sheets in their guest outbuilding . - Only in America !

Back to the travelogue or is it a travelmonologue - Feel free to go to sleep !


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99098&id=629071821&l=d2d6e202d5

Birch Bay , Blane , Bellingham ! A shack in the woods .

After my late meeting with the grumpy ( his words not mine ) ranger of Birch Bay State Park I had a good nights rest ( as if you care ! )
I drove slowly round the 10,000 strong community of Birch Bay . Its a pretty water sports area very popular with Canadians as it is very close to the expensive suburb of White Rock Vancouver BC. Good but a bit seasonal and expensive . I spoke with an early rising realtor called Terry Conway who had done a sterling job of organising his properties by neighbourhood and price . Website here . http://www.Century21BayProperties.com Blane itself was very good and again I could not fault it . as was the inland Dutch town of Lynden . Both charming I will google the stats . ( here ) .Now a pleasant 8 mile drive south through quite flat farming country to the city of Bellingham .
This town has grown a lot recently but its older neighbourhoods are a real charm with good houses on small blocks . Farehaven is a diamond . There is also a SCUBA business in town who dive most weekends with friendly and professional staff Website here . Also a IPSC club which I have yet to visit . The city is a bit too big for me Hold the press I have slept on it and it's not ! This has its advantages . It has its own international airport with flights to Las Vegas and Seattle . It has all the amenities you could want .and if you are greedy its not to far from Seattle or Vancouver BC . There were plenty of happy young people milling about where I had my lunch in down town Fairhaven . It is also the location of the University of West Washington and interestingly known for some reason as "the town of suppressed excitement ".

I called the hospitable Bill and arranged to meet at 6 . Having two hours left I went to the strange town of Sedro-Wooley . The historic center looked a bit like it had lost it's shine . Quickly I entered a pretty tree lined neighbourhood and was in deep conversation with one of it's older long time residents . She took the place off my list as she was very hesitant in singing the towns praises . I checked my watch , made my excuses drove to the main road and made a very poorly judged left turn . You know the rest !

General pics. here .


The band Pictures and video here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during