Skip to main content

Brookings to Eugene - or possibly further !


After a fitful sleep - Select as many reasons from below as you think .

I did not have enough pillows ,
I haven't been camping for years
I am too old !
I turned in too early
It was too hot

I had an early walk on the beach with my camera to say goodbye to the Oregon coast for a while .I showered, broke camp and went in search of a map of California to plan my route . It seems that although its only five miles away the Oregonians see no need to have a map of California , I mean , Why would you leave Oregon for ?
I failed but got a really good map of Oregon and was informed by two people in the gas station that my search for my perfect place was over as I had found it - Brookings Oregon ! Please note American phraseology creeping in ! I went shopping in Fred Meir for more bedding then in hunt of breakfast went to a local Sunday market . Here I purchased a hand tooled leather Leatherman
To think in England this sweet lady would be shunned as an arms dealer pandering to the base instincts of the criminal classes .

It's good check it out !
sheath from the wife of Jim Clifton . I took a video of her demonstrating another of his innovative products . His site is available here .

Southward through the Inspection station where friendly officers questioned me about fruit and vegetable imports . Obviously of major concern to the state of California !

I took a left onto highway 197 , keen not to stray too far into high tax and spend land and soon realised I was in redwood country Took more pics , The glass clear Smith River really cuts its way deep through the Klamath Mountains . I went into the information center and found I had only skimmed the edge of the redwoods national park and had missed the best bits further south . As I was going north the bespectacled ranger headed me to a consolation prize A unique bog together with a unique fly eating pitcher plant .He said it was a cool exciting place .When I got there I was not that impressed but at least finally laid to rest my childhood fear of carnivorous plants ! I thought the ranger had looked a bit nerdy !

The landscape changed and the temperature rose as i entered O'Brien where as is the law in Oregon I had my gas pumped by an attendant who was as always a useful source of local knowledge . Too hot here and cold in the winter too !
I followed the GPS through the edge of Grants Pass where I got a French Vanilla coffee to counteract the sleepiness caused by the heat . I put aside any passing thoughts of living here when I discovered it goes up to 105 with 100 % humidity . I kept on going and did not look back . Interstate 5 rose higher and higher as is wondered through the foothills of the Cascades. The altitude made the air cooler but the towns are small .Stopped an McDonald's in Tri-city just south of Myrtle Creek for a break and Internet access . I am there now ! Things I have learnt today - no matter how much you think you know you are pretty ignorant of vast and growing areas of human knowledge and experience . Travel defiantly broadens the mind !

I'm back on the road a bit dry and hot till a break at the pleasant town of Roseburg . a happy retirement area . From here on northward the land was greener and more lush and gradually flattened out towards Eugene and beyond to my campsite to the west .
I have to say if it was not for the American roads and buildings this could be prime agricultural land in the home counties .I just loved it .

I was charmed by what I at first thought were a pair of small red squirrels in the bushes . They were chipmunks I think . I later found out that despite the stripes they are squirrels !
I was not so charmed by the swarm of biting midges that plagued position 23 - maybe that's why that section of the camp was deserted .
I shut up the jeep and ran the air con. the swarm cleared - Where were they ... ... . .... . ... By the hot exhaust pipe ! ? Ill remember that trick but I will also ask local advice on bugs etc !

Night night ! Pictures here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during