Skip to main content

Best of British or the Luck of the Irish .




I was going to take the day off from driving . I was drawn to Langley and went to their library for free wi-fi but got there too early as it opens at 11am on a Saturday . On a whim I decided to try out Whidbey Islands free bus system . ( It is not free of course but is paid for by a 0.6 % sales tax instead of charging passengers ( riders) a fare ) . I rode the hourly bus to Clinton which was 15 minutes late on its trip from Oak Harbor . A local told me that here they operate on “ Island time “ a phrase “Calk heads “ will be very familiar with .
WARNING TO CALKHEADS OVENERS AND OTHERS WHO TRAVEL REGULARLY ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT !
THE FOLLOWING PASSAGES CONTAIN DETAILS OF THE COSTS OF TRAVEL IN THIS REGION WHICH IS LAUGHABLY CHEAP COMPARED TO ISLAND PRICES ! at £1.00=$1.50.

I took the ferry to Mukilteo which is FREE to foot passengers leaving the Island , the costs being covered by the high price paid by foot passengers going in the other direction ( $ 3.95 ) and the outrageously excessive cost of travelling with a vehicle ( $ 8.65 one way ) . These high prices are necessary to subsidise the cost of running the service regularly at quieter times for the convenience of residents . First ferry 05:05 last at 02:00 twice an hour except there is no 01:30 sailing . Crossing time 25 minutes .
On the Isle of Wight foot passengers cost $ 28.00 for a return and the standard car and driver return is
$ 158.00
I rode the 113 to the Linwood transfer station $ 1.75 then took the 511 express to down town Seattle $ 1.00 extra . Walked about . Went one stop on the new underground section of the light rail system ( free ) This was a bit weird as there appears to be a shortage of the electric trains so the rails are set level with a concrete base and they use diesel electric BUSSES ! As well .
Went on the underground tour - a must for the true but comic history of early Seattle
. Went to the Seahawks/Sounders Stadium where preparations were being made for the “ Sounders “ soccer game that evening . There would have been a rail service ( also called the sounder ) after the game but it was early so I retraced my steps eventually getting off the ferry at Clinton at 18:10 .The return journey cost $1.50 as my earlier ticket was still valid ( they can be used any number of times within a limited period I believe 6 hours .
Feeling smug I retrieved my bus timetable . Last bus left at 17:50 ! Everything is not perfect ! I walked up the hill and went into a small coffee and wi-fi shop to call a taxi . This would save me a 5 mile walk by the roadside . Phonebook and phone duly provided . First taxi was in Oak Harbor so would have been costly . Here my luck held . , second - the south Whidbey flier was just dropping off at the Clinton ferry so he was with me in 3 minutes for a reasonable $ 15 .
I drove back to the coffee shop where they made me an out of hours breakfast of scrambled eggs and sausages while they settled down to a Mexican take away and a game of trivial pursuit . They invited me to join them in the game . I declined as I was dealing with this blog and my sons problems ( drinking ) over the phone .
I got to the state park at dusk . It was full but I drove in anyway . I talked to a cheery South African lady ranger who left me talking with her family and friends round their personal camp fire about the Eden that is Washington and the messes made by governments .
She returned shortly and as I had expected against the odds she had found a space for me and I bedded down for a good nights sleep . Goodnight all and Adam IF YOU CANT CONTROL YOUR DRINKING DON’T DRINK AT ALL !

Comments

  1. Nice to meet you, Hinchey. I too was born between the commons, a stone's throw from Kyrle Road. Keep the Clapham flag flying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The S.T.EN. Gun

“ We will never surrender !” France fell to the German Blitzkrieg in May 1940 . The retreating British Army ended up being rescued from the beaches of Dunkirk by a flotilla of little ships leaving behind much of their equipment . A German invasion was expected ! Winston Churchill the British prime minister made his famous “ we will fight them on the beaches – we will never surrender ! “ speech and the Battle of Britain was on ! The UK desperately needed submachineguns . The Government ordered well made expensive Thompsons from the still neutral United States but there was never enough available . In order to rapidly equip a sufficient fighting force to counter the threat of invasion , the Royal Small Arms Factory , Enfield ( North London ) was commissioned to produce an alternative quickly and in large numbers . Whats in a name S.T.En. There Major R. V. Shepherd OBE and Mr. Harold John Turpin came up with the Design which became

Six Month Service - Vav Simon Chiropractor !

Every so often I visit a chiropractor to keep my bones - especially my back - on the straight and narrow . This stems back quite a few years ago when I was having problems with it . I was fine working but if i stayed in the same position for more than a few minutes my back started to hurt . I could not sit down , I could not stand up , I could not ignore the pain ! I asked around and went to my Doctor . A few people told me Vav Simon got lame horses to gallop , The doctor said it was quack useless and unnecessary treatment . I rejected his advice and booked an appointment . She asked questions and examined me . told me my pelvis was tipped to one side and trapping nerves ! This was not a supprise but sounded bad ! She told me she could fix it in two or three visits - this did suprise me and sounded good ! She tapped me about and stretched things very gently , told me to get dressed and walk about . Really weird - I walked like a drunk swaying to one side ! Then I understood - my legs w

Bonny and Clyde and the Browning Automatic Rifle

Bonnie and Clyde and the BAR ! Clyde Barrow, holding a Browning automatic rifle. BAR's could fire a twenty-shot magazine loaded with armor-piercing ammunition in under three seconds. During the depression of the 1930's in the USA criminals were looked at in a different way by many of the people who had been victimized and impoverished by the rich bankers and the emerging powerful corporations. Many people saw them as people driven to the edge that were only taking back what was stolen from them and striking back at a society and Government that let the Depression cause so much harm to so many . Two of the most famous criminals of that time were Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow . They were known to be quite skilled with their weapons, and unlike most criminals, they practiced with them and maintained them . Sadly they are considered to be responsible for the deaths of at least Nine law enforcement officers and five civilians during